September 10, 2007

Jardim Do Bomfim Merlot 2004

Adelaide Hills, 13.8%, screw cap, $9.95 (GWD), 91 pts, Drink Now-2010.

Quite a deep purple colour. Concentrated black plum and morello cherries on the nose, quite piercing which suggests this merlot isn't your typical barstardised corporate 50% H20 Merlot.

Strikes the palate with aforementioned fruit flavours and a lick of spice. Medium bodied with soft tannins and some fresh acidity. The fruit bounces around in your mouth, interchanging with a subtle spicyness and just a slight nuance of French oak. Balanced. Lovely stuff.

Though not exceptionally big, I would say this merlot has some guts to it and all the better for it. Wish the other big guns would listen to what real wine lovers want.

No words need to be the said about the value of this wine.

Tasting notes by Mike.

4 comments:

denise said...

I have just discovered the amazing jardim do bomfim shiraz, where do I buy it from, do they have a cellar door? I look forward to hearing where I can get more of this wine. Cheers, Denise

Phil said...

Hi Denise, you can get this wine off GetWinesDirect

jessica33 said...

As far as I know there is no cellar door or website, however I did contact the winemaker on ironstone.ridge@internode.on.net, and was more than fortunate to get some back vintages including a 'Gilberts Siding' 1999 Shiraz. Worth checking out

jessica33 said...

As far as I know there is no cellar door or website, however I did contact the winemaker on ironstone.ridge@internode.on.net, and was more than fortunate to get some back vintages including a 'Gilberts Siding' 1999 Shiraz. Worth checking out